Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Inca Citadel of Pisac

With only 2 days left in Cusco we decided to take a day trip to Pisac. Pisac, about 32km from Cuzco, is one of the gateway towns to the Sacred Valley and is home to what turned out to be a very impressive Inca citadel. Having been in this region before I (Dave) thought I´d seen the best of what the area has to offer. I was wrong. The strenuous walk up to the citadel with the simply stunning views up and down the Sacred Valley truly blew me away. Why this site does not get more publicity is beyond me. It covers a vast area and has Inca architecture to rival anything found at Macchu Picchu. It is also very easy, and cheap, for the independent traveler to get to and from. If you´re ever in the area don´t leave without a trip to the citadel at Pisac, but be warned it is a strenuous trek up the hill.

No comments: